So ...Do feel free to support us so that we can continue to support you!.

#Transgender: Tips for Surviving Despair. #tgirl #transwoman #transsexual #depression

Tips for Surviving Despair

Guest Author: Anon


Know what I found to be the biggest challenge in overcoming despair? Blaming myself for getting into the bad situation plus not acting to get out of the mess. 


Overcoming Shame
If you’ve ever seen the movie “The Edge”: you might recall a profound statement by Anthony Hopkins regarding why most people die when lost in the wilderness: “They die of shame”. Based upon experience, I’m guessing such passing isn’t limited to the wild blue yonder.

As my life deteriorated: 
I froze. I couldn’t function. I was ashamed of people I hurt. I beat myself up over mistakes.

I almost died…
of shame.
Faith & Prayer

I can’t begin to explain the power of prayer & a basis in spirituality. I lost my connection with organized religion after being out-and-proud as transgender…but I never lost my faith in prayers to God. I owe my mother for this healthy habit: she was a devout believer in prayer.
Manage What You Can

The trick to surviving complete chaos is to not look very far into the future & manage what you can 
now. At times, I my entire “future plans” included only the next two hours. If I looked beyond that juncture? I felt overwhelmed & depressed.Forgive Yourself



I wasn’t yet able to love myself - I’ll always struggle with feeling deserved of love. I did, however, learn to forgive myself for getting in such a bad situation. I certainly didn’t “try” to end up a mess. I promised myself I would make better decisions if I found my way clear of this labyrinth. I openly & vocally apologized to myself…and asked myself to forgive “me’. Alas, it worked. 


What gifts did I receive from surviving complete financial devastation? 
Perhaps the greatest gift from my devastation was an improved sense of self. It’s only after you lose everything that you discover what you “really” have…you have yourself!



Other important lessons, included:

  • I discovered I didn’t require a single penny to my name to be truly happy.
  • I also never feel compelled to “act out” as if I’m someone important or wealthy. Know that type of behavior? Nowadays, it never bothers me to proclaim “I can’t afford it” even when by other people’s standards - I could. I’m much more humble about what challenges I can face with life & admire humility in others.



Thank-you Anon.

No comments:

Post a Comment