#Diabetics: Snack Ideas for #Women with #Gestational #Diabetes
An outsider's perception of a pregnant woman is that she can eat whatever she wants, whenever she wants. And for some pregnant women this is the case but not for the one that has diabetes in pregnancy. There are still many healthy foods to choose from but there is not going to be any tales of you polishing of the carton of ice cream or how many chocolate bars you ate.
For any pregnant women, with or without gestational diabetes, the foods that are eaten should be of the highest quality and nutritional value to give your baby the best start in life. You don't want to get bored with your snack choices or you are more likely to indulge in something you shouldn't. Try to mix up the snacks you choose and use some of the suggestions from the list below to add more variety.
* A small fruit (such as an apple or orange) and a Œ of mixed nuts
* Celery sticks with natural peanut butter spread in the center
* Half a sandwich made with whole wheat bread and lunch meat and/or cheese
* A handful of baked tortilla chips with salsa and shredded cheese (this can be mixed together and warmed up in the microwave too)
* A banana milk shake made with banana, and cup of milk, 2-3 ice cubes and 2 tablespoons of natural peanut butter
Using left-overs from your main meals in small portions work well for snacks too. Make your snacks something to look forward to. If you enjoy eating your food you are going to make it easier for yourself to stick with your diabetic diet. There are also protein mixes that you can buy to add to milk that are nice for a bed time snack. Something that is light and provides protein to help with your blood sugar level until morning.