Did you know that menstrual cramps is the single greatest cause of lost school and working hours among women?
Also known as dysmenorrhea, menstrual cramps are the cause of an estimated 140 million hours of lost school and work. However, you do not have to live in pain. Below are some helpful tips that can help women during this particularly painful time of the month.
1. Try to eat smaller, more frequent meals. A lot of food
causes blood sugar to rise and fluctuate. instead of eating three large meals, eat five or six small meals a day, each about two and a half hours apart.
2. Exercise. Exercise can help alleviate menstrual cramps by raising the level of beta-endorphins, which are chemicals in the brain associated with pain relief. Studies have shown that beta endorphins have a positive effect on mood and behavior.
3. Try an over the counter Ibuprofen. Advil, Nuprin, and Motrin IB all contain Ibuprofen, which is one of the best pain relievers around. 200 milligrams every four to six hours is the recommended dosage, or twice that if symptoms warrant.
4. Oral contraceptive pills: Have been found to decrease the amount of menstrual tissue formed and lower the pain level (amplitude) of the uterine contractions.
5. Mefenamic acid: Also found over the counter, effectively relieves severe menstrual pain while also reducing heavy menstrual bleeding, easing menstrual migraine, and easing the
physical and emotional symptoms of premenstrual syndrome.
6. Reduce salt intake: To prevent water retention that causes bloating. Also, avoid liquor and other alcoholic beverages to reduce headaches.
7. Learn to relax. Rest, sleep and relaxation exercises can help reduce the pain and discomfort of menstrual cramps. A relaxing massage or bath with oil made with chamomile, lavender, marjoram, ginger and/or clary sage. They are aromatic and can aid in relaxation.
Never surrender to pain. There are steps you can take to help alleviate the pain and discomfort. So, the next time you experience any painful menstruation symptoms, be sure to try these tips.